Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why I Want to Start Writing

I want to challenge myself again but this time as a professional writer. I realize I have a lot to say and express. This sudden self-revelation came to me during a recent submission to be a writer for a local magazine and there's an interesting story of how it all occurred.  I was telling my girlfriend Veronica that I was in the process of looking for a job since graduating this past December and was working on conjuring up a satisfying plan for myself. Strangely, later that night she emailed me a newspaper clipping of a wanted ad for a club editor.  She said someone handed the cutout to her husband Phillip earlier that day at work--mind you, a guy that has never talked to him in all the years they've worked together.  He urged Phillip to give it to one of his friends because it would be a total dream job.  Luckily, Phillip thought of me when Veronica explained she wanted to help locate a career for me.  Once I saw the job description I concurred that it would be the best job for me to transition into from cosmetic management.  Also, to my surprise, I had many positive affirmations from every single person I spoke to about my application--everyone seemed to agree that I would be perfect for the position!

After some serious thought, I questioned if I could actually write for a living and enjoy it full-time, using the tools I have acquired from school in a creative yet structured way.  I then thought about all the teachers who trained me to write, the ones who encouraged and also criticized.  A pain-staking, life-consuming 17 + years of training to be exact. Almost 2 decades of technical writing with grammar execution and development of "voice" with expression of deep thought. In my last full-time semester at the Hugh Downs School of Interpersonal Communications at ASU, I spent hours upon hours writing 20-50 page reports on multiple subjects for several classes in order to finish my Bachelor's of Arts degree.  It consumed my entire life while also working a full-time job in the meantime.

So I ask myself why I would put myself through any kind of forced writing ever again?

I feel this time will be different, this time I can actually be heard and get paid for the process.  There's a good chance I may not have the qualifications, clout, and expertise for this position, but thinking about the possibility has definitely inspired me to start building a writing portfolio.  All I can do is try and work on moving ahead, focusing on carving a desired life path for myself.

"It is the function of art to renew our perception. What we are familiar with we cease to see. The writer shakes up the familiar scene, and, as if by magic, we see a new meaning in it."
Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment